VMware Cloud Community
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

Session time out during uploding file to datastore

Hello everybody,

i have isci san which has 2 LUNs. The first one is a ntfs filesystem and the second one is a datastore where the esxi gets the virtual machine. Now i need to copy a virtual machine from the ntfs lun to the datastore. The only way(at least its the only one i know) to do this is to use the virtual infrastructure client to upload this files.

The problem is that i'm getting time out error when i upload the vmdk disk file.

The questions are:

Is there a fast way to copy the virual machine from the ntfs lun to the datastore?

Is there a way to inrease the timeout value?

thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

Try copying the file from the NTFS-formatted iSCSI mount to a local

drive on the machine you're running VI/VSClient from, then from their

copy it to the VMFS-formatted iSCSI mounted datastore via the

VI/VSClient - if that works then I guess you just have a performance

issue with your iSCSI array/device. If it doesn't you may have a data

corruption of one form or another.

http://serverfault.com/questions/97982/session-time-out-during-uploding-file-to-datastore

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can also try Veeam fastscp http://veeam.com

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

Thats what i'm doing, passing the data from a mounted iscsi volume on the machine where i'm running VI client and from the VI client uploding the file. I have seen that the cpu occupation on esxi host is ~1Ghz. On this esxi host is not running any virtual machine, it is running only the copy operation. Is this cpu load normal?

Why it might be data corruption in this case?

thank you

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

How large are the vmdks you are copying? How were they created? Can you copy them from the NTFS disk to a local disk first then copy to the datastore? Why would you suspect they are corrupted?

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

I dont suspect they are corrupted! AnatolyVilchinsky say it could be corrupted!

The virtualmachine has 3 hard disk(vmdk). First one is the main where the system resides and its about 60gb. the second is 100gb and the last is 40 gb.

I dont know if its possible to copy them to the local machine beacuse i dont remember how muchfree space i have. Do you believe tha copying to the local machine and then to the datastore would be faster? the newtork is a gigabit one so maybe you're right...i have calculated that currently it is copying with a rate of 4mb/s!really slow...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Do I assume these VMDKs were originally run on ESXi 3.5???? You can try using Converter standalone to convert the VM's to an appliance (OVF or OVA). That will shrink the files to about the space consumed size. You can then use the vi client or converter to import the appliance to the ESXi host.

4mb/s is very slow and I would definitely look for a cause. What is the san you are connected to.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I am only suggesting you try these things is to find something that works.

0 Kudos
albgen
Contributor
Contributor

yes, the vmdk was created with this esxi host.

The storage is an hp aio1200r.

0 Kudos