sw7079399
Contributor
Contributor

Server pointing to incorrect datastore

Hello all

I have 5 virtual servers running within ESXi 3.5.

There are 3 datastores on this server - datastore1, 2 and 3.

Datastore1 contains 2 servers, 2 contains 1 server and the 3rd contains 2 servers.

Two of my servers, if I look at the sumary tab, say they are on datastore1.

In actual fact, the two servers are held on datastore3.

How can I change the datastore that the server thinks it is on to a different one (ie in the RESOURCES window, how can I change datastore1 to datastore3)

If I edit the datastore1 and change it to datastore3, it just comes back with 'datastore3 already exists'

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Two of my servers, if I look at the sumary tab, say they are on datastore1.

In actual fact, the two servers are held on datastore3.

Why do you say they are factually on datastore3? What did you see that led you to this conclusion? If you go to Edit Settings for this VM, what disk file information is given for the virtual disks? If you browse the datastore1, do you see the virtual machine's files listed there in a directory?

If I edit the datastore1 and change it to datastore3, it just comes back with 'datastore3 already exists'

This is just a friendly label used, and trying to rename it here won't change anything with regard to where the VM files are actually located.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos