VMware Cloud Community
Atlanta_User_Gr
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2008 Backup Restore Into ESXi VM

Prior to the 8/12 bug, I was able to create a Windows Server 2008 VM on an ESXi host and restore a 2008 backup image into it. This was done by creating a backup from a physical Windows 2008 server, with the files being stored on a shared network folder. I then booted up the VM on the ESXi host with a 2008 server CD in the drive. Instead of installing 2008 server, I directed it to restore from a backup, directing it to the files on the shared network folder. I was able to do this several times with a couple of different servers. Since 8/12, I have patched the ESXi host (this is a test server) and was able to boot up another VM, but was no longer able to create a new VM and restore a Windows 2008 server. Each time I try, I get a message saying "The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed. Error details: The disk that is set as active in BIOS is too small to recover the original system disk. Replace the disk with a larger one and retry the restore operation. (0x80042407)."

I tried increasing the disk space allocated to the VM to twice the space originally allocated and was still unsuccsessful. I rebuilt the ESXi server using the newer patched version released by VMware on 8/13 and was unsuccessful. I can do a fresh install of the Server 2008 OS onto the VM, but am no longer able to do a complete PC Restore.

The ironic thing is that I installed VMware Server on another server and was able to complete a PC Restore from the same backup files into a VMware Server VM. This VM works just fine, but I still cannot complete into ESXi.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Could you turn on logging for the VM and enable debugging and see if the vmware.log file has anything to offer?

0 Kudos
Atlanta_User_Gr
Contributor
Contributor

I am unsure on how to turn on logging or enabling debugging. The Help file indicates that I must go to Options in the Virtual Machine Properties tab. I see no Properties tab. Could this be due to the fact that I am using the free ESXi version and utilizing VMware Infrastructure Client and not VirtualCenter?

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Right-click on the VM -> Edit Settings -> Options Tab. The option to turn on debugging is in there.

You can do this with the VI Client w/o VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
Atlanta_User_Gr
Contributor
Contributor

Although I'm not sure what we did differently, we were able to get the restore full PC in Windows Server 2008 to work. Thank you for your advice.

0 Kudos
cs_vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same error message.

How did you fix this?

When I use the Windows 2008 complete restore, I can restore a backup of a 2008 VM to a new VM.

But, if I try to restore a backup of a 2008 physical server to a new VM, I get the same error about the disk being too small. I think this is a bug somewhere.

My physical server uses dynamic disks, maybe that has some affect on the problem?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos