Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Separate SC and VM on vSwitches - no downtime

Here is my current setup:

VC 2.5

4 hosts running ESX 3.5 update 3

Everything on the network is setup on 1 virtual switch (default vSwitch0) with 1 NIC. Yes 1 NIC the person that did the install “had not seen a NIC failed before” – I am in the process of fixing this.

So on vSwitch0 there are:

SC port group

VMkernel portgroup – yes, we VMotion over this 1 gigabit interface

VM port group – with 5-8 VM on each host

See attached screenshot. *The ESX hostname and VMs are removed.

What I’d like to accomplish:

1. Split the SC, VM and VMKernel into 2 vSwitches.

a. VM and VMKernel will be on the same vSwitch – not BP but only have 4 nics.

i. This vSwitch will be NIC team

2. SC will be on its own vSwitch and NIC teamed for best practice redundancy.

Is it possible to separate SC and VM & VMKernel port groups on vSwitches with little or no downtime for the VMs network? What is the best approach?

My plan is/was to create the new vSwitch. Add a new SC then remove the old one from vSwitch0.

I am going to try this in again in my lab but thought I wouldd run it by the community. The first time I had tested this, the lab VC lost connection to the test ESX host.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, this should be possible the way you are planing to do it. Moving the SC to another vSwitch will not cause any downtime to the VMs. However, it I remember correctly, teaming the NICs for the VMNetzwork vSwitch will cause a short interruption.

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, this should be possible the way you are planing to do it. Moving the SC to another vSwitch will not cause any downtime to the VMs. However, it I remember correctly, teaming the NICs for the VMNetzwork vSwitch will cause a short interruption.

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create a new service console on a new vSwitch then you can remove the service console from the vSwitch your VMs are using. I have mine setup with 2 NICs for management, 2 NICs for VMs & 2 NICs for iSCSI all set to be redundant.

If you have the hosts in a cluster and have multiple service consoles you want to add the 'das.allowNetwork Service Console' option to your HA Advanced Options.

Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I just reread, there might be interruption when adding a second physical NIC for teaming:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/235162

Kind regards,

Gerrit Lehr

0 Kudos