VMware Cloud Community
K3HTK
Contributor
Contributor

SCSI Controller - Channel not showing up?

I am running the latest build of ESX 3i and my server is loaded and works great..... What isn't working or showing up is the second channel of the Dell PERC2/DC (AMI) controller.

My Disks are on Channel 0 of the SCSI Card and I am trying to add a tape drive to Channel 1. VMWare recognizes the card in the Storage Adapter group as a "Dell Expandable RAID Controller 2 /DC" but it is only reporting one channel which is the one I have my SCSI Disks on. When I connect my tape drive to Channel 1 (empty channel with nothing other than my tape drive on it) and rescan, the other channel never shows up.......

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Ed

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Ed, Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Officially this is only supported using an Adaptec SCSI card, but have you tried to add a generic SCSI device to the VM to see if the tape drive is listed?

K3HTK
Contributor
Contributor

Dave,

Yeah, I found a post that told me that it had to be an Adaptec. I did try what you suggested earlier using the Dell PERC 2 card, but it of course told me there were no non-Disk based devices available. So i guess Adaptec it the only way to go! I tried it connected to an internal connector on the Motherboard since it has a built in Adaptec controller as well and it worked! Of course i am trying to connect up a library so i will have to get an internal to external adapter to avoid buying another card. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Ed

0 Kudos