VMware Cloud Community
sailmn
Contributor
Contributor

SBSAnswerFile.xml not read from floppy during installation

I am attempting to install SBS 2008 in Migration Mode in a VM Guest environment.

In order for the installation to enter Migration Mode, it has to "see" that there is a SBSanswerfile.xml file either in the root of a USB drive attached to the server (which it is my understanding ESXi can't do) or on a floppy drive. I have tried attaching a floppy drive connected to the VI client machine but it never reads the file. I also created a virtual floppy drive, formatted it while connected to another VM and placed the SBSAnswerFile.xml file in the virtual floppy drive. I can open the file from the VM. Then I disconnect the virtual floppy and connect it to the new installation VM but it never reads the *.xml file, so the installtion never enters Migration Mode.

If I set the removable media to be checked first in the VM Bios, it reads the floppy drive and reports no OS.

What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts on how I can get around this issue?

Rick Johnston

ESXi newbie

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

When you attach the floppy drive to the VM, did you make sure to mark the Connected box? Also, have you tried using the Connect at Boot option so that the floppy drive is already present when the system boots?

0 Kudos
sailmn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes to both questions.

I have tried changing the option from Connected to not Connected to Connected again and it won't read the file.

When I have the virtual floppy set to Connect at Power On and have Removeable Media set as a Boot Option with a higher priority in the VM Bios, then it reads the vitual floppy and says there is no OS.

So I know it is reading the floppy drive, I just can't get it to read the SBSanswerfile.xml that switches the installation to Migration Mode.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

And have you tried putting this floppy disk into a physical machine and booting the SBS install that way? Does a physical machine read the file off the floppy disk?

sailmn
Contributor
Contributor

I tried booting a physical machine with the same setup to see if the answer file is seen in that scenario and it was not?? I tried both usb flash drives & floppy drives but neither worked. I could hear the floppy drive being accessed but it still did not access the SBSanswerfile.xml to start the migration.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

So, sounds like not a VMware issue, but some sort of problem with the installer seeing the installer file correctly...