VMware Cloud Community
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

Root Lockdown Mode is enabled automatically

I'm running ESX 3i (60 day trial, build 67921) on 7 servers in a lab environment and I'm having an issue where the servers go into the root lockdown mode automatically, without user intervention.

When this happens, the servers are inaccessible over the VIC and have to be rebooted. I've tried having an alternate user with root privileges. However, when the root lockdown mode is enabled, I cannot log in as any user.

Has anyone seen this issue with ESX and if so, is there a resolution for it. Google seems to be of little help in this regard.

Cheers

Arjun

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I have not heard of this - are you able to access the host through VC?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

These machines are being used as standalone servers. They are not connected to a VC.

What is interesting is that the server becomes inaccessible over the infrastructure client, and when I look at the server console directly I see that root lockdown mode is enabled.

I cannot disable the root lockdown mode from the Console either. The only thing that will unlock it is a reboot.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

see this KB, it may help

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003887

0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link Troy. I've tried this before, with a couple of different users. When the issue crops up, no user can access the box over VIC. I also enabled SSH access to the server following this link

http://communities.vmware.com/message/881932#881932

When the servers go inaccessible, I cannot access them via SSH either. The error is "SSH Identifer Exchange error" or similar.

On the VIC, the error messages vary between "A connection could not be established", "Invalid user" and "The connection was reset" or similar

0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wondering if the root lockdown mode is just a symptom of a different issue, since the ESX 3i configuration guide at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3i_e/r35/vi3_35_25_3i_server_config.pdf

says that lockdown mode is available only on 3i servers that have been added to VC. Since I'm not using VC at all, I'm wondering why its even getting set at all

0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

Here's some more info. I just had a server become inaccessible, and here are the symptoms:

1) Attempts to connect over VIC as root throw up the error "A connection failure occured"

2) Hitting Alt+F1 on the console shows a bunch of errors : /etc/init.d/sfcbd: 129 :Cannot fork

3) Typing "unsupported" at this screen allows a password prompt, from where i can log in with my root password

4) Running /etc/init.d/sfcbd status outputs:

/etc/init.d/sfcbd: 129 :Cannot fork

5) Trying to restart the sfcbd service fails, same error

6) Alt+F12 to the vmkernel log shows these two errors both repeated twice:

Admission check failed for memory resource

Failure during exec while original state already lost

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
mhennecke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you sure that root lockdown mode is enabled? Can you go to the console interface screen (ALT-F2) and go to the "Configure Lockdown Mode" item? It should say if lockdown mode is enabled or disabled.

My guess is that the management agent (hostd) on the system is not responding. You can try the "Restart Management Agents" item from the console. This will restart both hostd and the health monitoring agents (sfcbd). Let me know if this solves the problem.

0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

VMware support finally answered my question!Symptoms

"In VirtualCenter ESX 3i host does not respond. Disconnecting and reading the host into VirtualCenter will not respond. If you go to the console of the ESX 3i host a message is continually being repeated "Stopping sfcbd." You are unable to go into "unsupported" mode, and a restart of the management agents does nothing to fix it.

Resolution

This is a known issue with ESX3i, and is fixed in Update 2. This is caused by backup of the hidden partition within ESX 3i failing, and causing the console to go into "lockdown" mode. Unfortunately there is no way to recover from this without a reboot.

We have released ESX 3i Update 2 build 103909 this week! So that is good news.

Here is the link to the documentation and download information:

http://vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx3i_i_35u2_vc25u2_rel_notes.html"

0 Kudos