VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rightsizing the pagefile of guest VMs

Is there any guideline to rigtsize the pagefile for guest (Windows) VMs?

With hosted versions of VMware (Workstation and Server) I used to create a pagefile whose size was RAM * 2 and to place it on a disk different from the boot/system disk: can it be right for VMware ESXi as weel?

Is there any better solution?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

that will depend entirely on the organisation of the underlying hardware and the OS & app load on those drives. That said, usually it's not a big deal provided the machines have enough RAM anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

use the same rule as you would for a Physical server ie 1.5 times Memory

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your advice.

Any ideas about the best way to place the pagefile? I mean, on the system (virtual)disk, on a data (virtual)disk, on a dedicated (virtual)disk or elsewere?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

that will depend entirely on the organisation of the underlying hardware and the OS & app load on those drives. That said, usually it's not a big deal provided the machines have enough RAM anyway.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if the pagefile is static in size, it shouldn't matter whetehr the pagefile is on the default os drive, or another disk.

Why make things even more complex than they need to be?

Assuming as the previous poster mentioned, that you are not paging out, which should not happen if you have adequate memory.

i considered splitting out the pagefile, but in practice could not justify any performance improvement.