VMware Cloud Community
AdamSnow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Restored USB drive via HP 3i recovery CD - now update manager doesn't work

Hello,

I recently bought some HP BL460c blades with 3i embedded preinstalled. One of the servers came with a dead USB drive, so HP shipped us a replacement one without 3i. They gave us a recovery CD to reinstall 3i. After running the CD and installing it, everything works as expected, except Update Manager (FYI I'm running the latest version of VC - 2.5 update 2). When I try to scan the host, it says "please download updates metadata first." U[date manager is able to scan the hosts that came with 3i preinstalled, and they work fine. Just not against the one that was created from the recovery CD.

HP has given me 2 different versions of the recovery CD, each with a different build of 3i. Neither work. I have a support call open with HP, but it is an exercise in futility. They don't speak english, and they don't seem to understand the problem. I believe they are trying, but we're not getting anywhere.

I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and knows how to fix it. I'm hoping something can be tweaked/edited on the 3i host to fix this.

My only other though is to try a program like Winimage, and take an image of a working preinstalled 3i, and then deploy that image to another USB drive. Then boot from it and change the IP, hostname, etc. I'm not sure if that will work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to push the patch with vihostupdate or remoteinstall?

>My only other though is to try a program like Winimage, and take an image of a working preinstalled 3i, and then deploy that image to another USB drive. Then boot from it and change the IP, hostname, etc. I'm not sure if that will work.

If you go this route, you could backup your ESXi host first with vicfg-cfgbackup, create a fresh USB drive and then restore the backup.

0 Kudos
AdamSnow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am able to install the patches with remoteinstall. But if I try to scan after that, I get the same error. I'd like to avoid having to do manual patches every time.

The issue here is with a 3i thumb drive that was DOA, so i can't do a backup and restore of the config.

0 Kudos
AdamSnow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nevermind, this was a configuration problem on our end with the dns suffixes. There is no problem with the HP CD.

0 Kudos