VMware Cloud Community
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pools

Hello guys,

I have a old server HP Proliant ML 350 G4p Dual Xeon 3.0 GHz and 12 GB Ram with ESXi 3.5 U4. I have two Virtual Terminal Servers with some problems with the performance. it use almost all the physical CPU but not the memory just 3GB os 12GB. How can i use Resource Pool to improve the performance in the VMs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resource pool are use when you have resource shortage and you want to utilized that properly for application base. but there case is you have resoure but your application and VM not using it so i don't think resoure pool can help you. but you can put your VM in resoure pool and bind reservation of resoure (memory,cpu). one more thing you have only 3 Guest machine. how much you allocate Memory to them ?

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input, two TS with 4GB and 1 PC with 1GB

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also remeber one thig ESX using Memory ballooning means if VM has not much activity and has free memory then ESX take it back and when need it provide so might be that resone its showing more free memory on meter. also check resource usage on VM host machines how much they eat memory and CPU.

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Thanks

Satish Patel

• Journey toward "Virtual world"

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

This is the problem, on the VMs the memory utilization is minimum and the CPU is to high 80%. The TS is not a full load just 14% load of 100% mean just 10 to 15 users max per server, this is another reason why i am not put full load if not is too slow. The other Physical TS handle around 25 to 30 users with full load.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well the performance monitor is the usage of the host memory / CPU. It's how much of the host resources are allocated for THAT VM. If you look inside that VM what does task manager show for the processes inside that VM. Thats what you should be concerned with.

0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

That is why i am concern, those numbers are inside the VM Task Manager (CPU 80%, memory minimum)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have hyper threading enabled? When your vm is running high CPU, what process is making the cpu go high?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
pesinet
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i do.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've seen this issue when hyperthreading is turned on. Turn hyperthreading off, and see if your high cpu problem goes away. Sometimes the multiple CPUs will try to execute within the hyperthread core, which is not really a core, or other vm's will try to execute in that thread.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos