VMware Cloud Community
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rename a VM AND it's datafiles

Hi,

I tried renaming one of my VMs, but it seems the name change is not reflected on the datastore. Can I just shutdown the VM, rename it and remove it form inventory, and then through the "Browse Datastore..."-function in VIC (VMware Infrastructure Client) rename all files and folders to reflect the new name?

Also, I'm wondering about the warning I get when creating a new folder on a datastore through VIC. It says "You will not be able to change this name after the folder is created.". I tried creating a folder called "Test", and I have no trouble renaming it using the "Rename..."-function found when right-clicking on the folder in the right side file/folder view. Why do I get the warning when the rename actually seems to be possible?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

The unsupported console would propably be the way to go. I would start by deleteing any unneccesary files (log, nvram) since these will be recreated on the next powerup anyway. To make life a little easier, you could try to unmount the disk from the VM, rename the disk from the commandline. Then edit the vmx file to match all renames. Then add the renamed disk back to rthe VM, then power it up.... Kind of risky though, I would certainly move or copy the config files instead of deleting/editing them right away!

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, yes, if you rename a VM via the VC client the name change is not reflected on the datastore. If you wanted to rename a VM and its files then you need to first change the file names and then edit the .vmx, .vmxf and .vmdk (not -flat) to reflect the file name changes. The best option for the .vmdk's its best to use vmkfstools -E option

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

When i need to rename a server and it's data files i do this:

1.Shutdown vm

2. Rename in VC

3. Cold migrate to another storage/LUN ( take som time for a large server)

4. Power up. ...Done

By doing this everything is renamed ( .vmx , .vmfs , folders ) and the risc of doing something wrong is very little.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Lars, probably being picky (or moronic as its a friday) but why do you include step 2? When you clone a VM you give it the new VM name anyway ?:|

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cold migrate will assume the name that is currently registered in VC... So that is why you need to rename it there. If you have the space, Converter will also do the trick (and you get the ability to resize your disks as well)

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

But this is not a cloning Smiley Wink ...this is just a matter of writing the files again on another datastore and then VC will do the rename for you.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Oops... Friday effect Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, problem is I only have a local storage for this server, so I can't use the migrate method.

I guess renaming the files would work, but that's nothing I can do from the VI client, can I?

Thank you for answering!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the sake of making life easy I'd switch off the VM then clone it to the new name.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since migrating was no option, I assume this ESX host is standalone, and not part of VirtualCenter? In that case cloning is not available as well... I would opt again for the method using Converter. That always works, as long as you have the diskspace to (temporarily) have two copies of your VM.

I would never go and rename my files manually... It is quite complex to get it done properly, especially if you are new to ESX.

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just checked, I do not have enough space on the local storage to use the VM Converter. Thanks for the tip though, good to have!

Even if it may seem so, I'm not a complete newcomer on VMware and their virtualization technology. I've previously used the VMware Workstation, Player and Server, so I've seen the vmdk-files before. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mess something up just changing some names and maybe modifying some files...

I just need to know which files to rename and what to change in them. I guess the easiest way to go about this would be to use SSH and the "unsupported" console?

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

The unsupported console would propably be the way to go. I would start by deleteing any unneccesary files (log, nvram) since these will be recreated on the next powerup anyway. To make life a little easier, you could try to unmount the disk from the VM, rename the disk from the commandline. Then edit the vmx file to match all renames. Then add the renamed disk back to rthe VM, then power it up.... Kind of risky though, I would certainly move or copy the config files instead of deleting/editing them right away!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use the VIMA appliance, not the unsupported console as it makes your ESX3i host unsupported.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos