VMware Cloud Community
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Registering ESX Server 3i 3.5.0

I got around to installing ESX (hpvm-install-hd-153875.iso) on my HP DL380 G5. It says its a 60 day evaluation. For the life of me, I cant figure out how to register the damn thing. There is nothing in the client or server.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can register for the free copy here: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi and get your license

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

I found it. Its under configuration -> license. Man, they sure do bury it. Most programs you go to help -> register. It was driving me nuts.

0 Kudos
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know the difference between the HP version of ESXi and the normal (non-hp) version?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah, I thought you were looking for how to get a license. Yea, it's under the configuration section.

the HP Version just has the HP embedded management agents to help monitor your HP hardware (CIM), I believe this is the same version that you could purchase pre-installed on the hardware as well and IBM also use to have a copy but I don't think with U4 they have one available for download.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not check the free download page, but the upgrade zip-file contains custom 'oem.tgz's for HP, Dell, FSC and IBM and some other (these other are of no importance as they are only brandings for the ESXi-hypervisor without any added functionality). The biggest functionality gain you get on a Dell, but for HP it's nice, too.

0 Kudos