VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reducing hard disk size of VM

Hi,

I did a P2V conversion and now I need reduce the size of the hard disk migrated. The C (System volume) is too big & I was unable to reduce the size of the disk using VM Converter.

Can anyone think of a way of reducing the size of the disk? I have Acronis software but not sure if I can do it with this.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Converter is usually the safest option for reducing the disk size.

You may want to check out this document, http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9339 , that put together

Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Troy. I',m now trying to boot the ISO for Gparted as outlined in the doc. After a reboot it doesn't boot up Gparted.

I have selected the ISO in the Datastore ISO file location & selected Connect at power on?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't used Lightbulb's method, you may want to send him a PM

....just confirm the .iso is bootable and "connect at power on" as you said is checked.

0 Kudos
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Since you have Acronis,

Try shrinking using Acronis first, then shutdown the VM

Got to ESX server by logging in to Service console and use following command (login as root)

#vmkfstools -X 21G nameof VM.com.vmdk --force (This command will shrink the partition on VMFS Volume)

21GB is just example of the size you want

Power On the VM

Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I ran the command as suggested however --force doesn't seem to be recognised.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can you run the V2V Converter wizard again, that should shrink/expand your drives if you select them too. Please try again.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos