VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reconfiguring a Windows guest

I am not sure this is the right forum for my question...

I am conducting performance tests on an ESXi 3.5 server to identify the right number and the right size of the hosted clients.

I created some Windows based guest VM (Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008), I start them concurrently and I try to evaluate the performance of each VM and of the whole host.

What is it supposed to happen if I change the settings of a Windows server guest? Can I change the number of (virtual) processors without reinstalling the guest OS? Can I change the memory size without reinstalling the guest VM?

Given I want to see what happens with 6 concurrent guests with 2 processors and 4 GB RAM each one and what happens with 6 similar servers with 1 processor and 1 GB RAM each one, can I just reduce the number of processors or should I reinstall the client VMs from scratch?

Same question: if I want to compare a guest VM with 1 processor and 1 GB RAM with a VM with 4 processors and 4 GB RAM, can I just change the settings of my VM or should I reinstall it from scratch?

Last question: is there any documentation to help me conducting the tests I need to perform?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If your guests are Windows 2003 and 2008 you should be able to add/remove CPUs and memory to them easily. Just power them off, make your change and then start them back up. No need to rebuild.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If your guests are Windows 2003 and 2008 you should be able to add/remove CPUs and memory to them easily. Just power them off, make your change and then start them back up. No need to rebuild.

0 Kudos