VMware Cloud Community
kmille1398
Contributor
Contributor

RDM issues during conversion from VMWare Server to ESXi

Hi All,

Great forum. I have a virtual machine that is currently running on a Windows 2003 host with Vmware Server (version 1.03 build 44356). This VM is running SQL 2005 server. My plan is to use VMWare Converter to import this VM into ESXi. My issue is this. This particular VM has access(Raw Device Mapping) to LUNs on a fibre SAN. So, let's say the C: drive for this VM resides on the local drive of my Windows host, and LUN1 (of my fibre SAN) hosts the SQL databases for my VM, and LUN2 is for SQL logs. If I give my ESXi host access in Navisphere to the same LUNS as my Windows 2003 Vmware Server, will I be able to run the conversion cleanly? That is to say, will I be able to bring up my new converted virtual server on my ESXi host and have it see the LUNs as the same drive letters as it did on my VMWare Server (of course, ideally, with the SQL databases and logs intact)?

Thanks for any and all input,

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't seen anything that would suggest that converter can do RDMs, but you might consider something like this.

1) After a backup, stop and disable SQL services and then disconnect the LUNs from the VM.

2) Convert the boot drive for the VM.

3) Once the VM is on ESXi, zone the LUN and then add them as RDMs to the VM.

4) Boot the VM and reconnect the LUNs in the OS.

0 Kudos