VMware Cloud Community
ckwong19802003
Contributor
Contributor

RDM VMDK

My scenario would be these, i have a virtual instance that stored on the external usb drive and the virtual instance disc have a remark such as hostname-rdm.vmdk.I mount the external drive to the vmware esx, on the vmdk file when I check on the windows is 15gb and when I do a ls -lrth on that file it show 18E. and I cant copy the file over to the esx server because the file size look different and it take long time,Would appreciate if someone can guide me on these

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did you copy the correct file? An hostname-rdm.vmdk is a definition or metadata file that includes the description of the disk that you mapped to, not the actual data on the disk itself. The actual disk would be living on a SAN somewhere if you are using a raw device mapping.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

The VMname-rdm.vmdk is just a definition of a physical raw disk map (RDM) the actual disk is a device on the original hosted system. So it cannot copy this raw disk map data only the definition will move to the esx host which may or may not point to the correct device locally. On what storage was the RDM defined to.

iSCSI?

FC Shared?

Local disk?

Was it the USB drive?

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos