VMware Cloud Community
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RCLI for Linux and vmware-cmd

Given that the console on ESXi does not have this command and I don't know of any other way to stop/start vm's I have resorted to using the RCLI for my script. Can this be installed less obtrusively on a Linux machine then the tar file?

I don't want to copy files into system locations on an rpm based distro? Are there vmware specific requirements or could I install library deps and just extract the actual perl files and run them?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try out VIMA, it's slow on some request, assuming because its going out to your hosts and pulling the data back. It has"vmware-cmd.pl" which is based off of the VI Perl Toolkit set, including bunch other that seem to be very useful

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/viperltoolkit/viperl16/doc/perl_toolkit_utilities_idx.html

It's also consolidates all the RCLI commands including new ones like "fast-pass" connect, it allows you to add set of ESX/ESXi Server(s), authenticate once and you can use this fast pass to run set of command across the hosts that's been added under VIMA. It's a RHEL appliance and the future goal is to be able have 3rd party plugin's intergrate with this system which can communicate out to the Hosts/VMs. VI Perl Toolkit (viper1) is also included and those familiar tools are there, you can use this as a central launch point and if you love the RHEL SC then this should be no different. I've only started to take a look, some things take longer do, some commands provide more detail and granular data which is nice. Check it out, it's free for having all your scripts centralize and also VCAP for your cheating way of having a semi-federated single sign on VC administratrive portal webase tool.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/index.html?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US...

Hope this helps

Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting, I am pulling it down now, but I wanted to add the perl scripts to an existing vm w/o adding another for just this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe long as your depedencies are fullfiled you can just pull down the files. I had a hell of a time getting RCLI 1.0 to install on a RHEL 64bit WS, and I actually got some assistance from someone on the forum to update certain chunk of code to validate the installer to get it installed on the system. This was using their standard installer and not any RPM base installation. I think most people are using multiple modules on multiple machines and I think VIMA just gives you something that works and consolidates all these tools.

0 Kudos