VMware Cloud Community
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RCLI and ESXi free

Hi!

I have downloaded the RCLI appliance and imported it sucessfully using the VI client.

I am trying to use different command and all report some Perl error about missing package like HTML::HeadParser.

What did I do wrong?

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

What command are you using, the applianance should be properly configured so it should work once you import it into your infrastructure. The commands should be in the form of "esxcfg-" or "vicfg-" or "svmotion"

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used

vifs.pl --server 192.... --username root --password my_password --listds

I tried other variation on vifs..

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Interesting, that command bombs for me as well looking for PERL html HeadParser. Though I also have the RCLI installed on my Linux workstation and the command works great. The RCLI Appliance is the latest one from VMware's site, wondering if they missed something. I would need someone else to confirm or open a case with VMware SE to see if they can provide a fix if their applianance is broken. I don't believe it's ESX version specific, I'm going to ESX 3.5 Update 2 host for this test.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I can replicate the problem as well (the Windows RCLI is fine). I've logged a call with VMware support (SR 1128825441 ) and will update this once I hear back from them.

0 Kudos
AHandtmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I also stumbled across this error while trying to use the "--listds" option.

Resolution: Just add the missing module to your local perl installation by executing "perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::HeadParser'.

If you are using the Virtual Appliance for RCLI you should install the following Debian packages before installing the perl module: "apt-get install gcc" and "apt-get install unzip". Be sure to not accidently remove your kernel image (as will be proposed by APT)!

It might also be necessary to answer a few questions for the CPAN update module (should be straightforwarding including the proxy settings).

Good luck!

Best regards,

Arne

0 Kudos
scotia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Arne,

thanks for the info. When I run apt-get ..., I get

Failed to fetch Could not resolve 'acerepo.vmware.com'

I tried resolving acerepo and it doesn't seem to resolve.

Is there a way to specify an alternate repository with apt-get?

Being a FreeBSD guy I'm no good with apt-get.

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos