VMware Cloud Community
dandandongdong
Contributor
Contributor

Purple Screen - Can anyone help to decipher this for me?

Hello all,

I am an ESX running with vmware esx 3.5 u4 153875 build and encounterred purple screen.

This server use Emulex LPe12002 HBA card and there are some message about lpfc, so I guess maybe have some relationship with emulex ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Purple screen of death usually relates to memory crashed and in this log, you may have faulty HBA cards or CPU issue. I would move all the VMs to a workable host and update the hba firmware to the latest and test memory stress as well to make sure it won't happen again. Update all hardware patches/firmware or drivers if you have a chance. Mike Laverick has great collections for PSOD here

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

This could be HBA, or disk failure.

To be honest PSODs always warrant support calls to VMware as far as I am concerned, as I'd rather somone help me resolve the issue properly, than risk changing some hardware and affecting production systems with another crash at a later date.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
dandandongdong
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After checking the configuration about Emulex HBA card, seems already use the latest driver.

Emulex LightPulse FC SCSI elx_7.4.0.40

Emulex LPe12002-M8 8Gb 2-port PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter on PCI bus 10 device 01 irq 105

BoardNum: 1

SerialNum: VM80415943

Firmware Version: 1.10A5 (U3D1.10A5)

Many thanks for further comment.

0 Kudos
mnrjr2
Contributor
Contributor

Your firmware is not the latest version (1.11a5) according to the Emulex site. I had the same problem and a firmware upgrade resolved the issue.

dandandongdong
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your replay, and I still have a question want to check.

About the newly firmware for Emulex HBA LPe12002, I do not find the update guide under vmware host.

Would you tell me where to download the HBAnyware upgrade fw guide or what did you do to upgrade fw using HBAnyware?

Or I mistake something, I appreciate your help very much.

Best Regards,

Dong

2009/8/15 mnrjr2 <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Purple Screen - Can anyone help to decipher this for me?":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1338054#1338054

Author : mnrjr2

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/mnrjr2

0 Kudos
dandandongdong
Contributor
Contributor

Follow HBAnyware version 4.0 manual CLI command to upgrade Emulex HBA fw.

0 Kudos