VMware Cloud Community
copc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Promise VTrak M310i iSCSI SAN

RE: Promise VTrak M310i iSCSI SAN

This unit is on the 3.5 HCL but a low budget solution. Has anyone out there had positive results with this SAN and ESX3.5i?

The M310i has 2 x 1-Gigabit NICs. We plan on hosting 30 VM's on the device and running them over the private storage network. Will two gigabit NICs provide enough throughput to run this number of VMs? Connecting to 3 Dell 2900 series.

M310i Product Page

Thank you in advance...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's really hard to give a definite answer one way or the other how that's going to work. The real answer is that it depends on what those VMs are doing. If you're just running 30 VMs that run background services, don't do a lot of disk I/O, etc., then you're probably okay. If you're running more than a couple of database or e-mail servers on those boxes and are planning to store the disks backing those VMs on that device, 2 GigE interfaces may be too limiting for that environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's really hard to give a definite answer one way or the other how that's going to work. The real answer is that it depends on what those VMs are doing. If you're just running 30 VMs that run background services, don't do a lot of disk I/O, etc., then you're probably okay. If you're running more than a couple of database or e-mail servers on those boxes and are planning to store the disks backing those VMs on that device, 2 GigE interfaces may be too limiting for that environment.

0 Kudos
copc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input. The VM's will be placing an average load on the storage network.

We decided to go with the Dell MD3000i over the Promise VTrak. The numbers came in higher but the dual controllers and 4 nics will allow for redundancy and growth.

Thanks again...

0 Kudos