VMware Cloud Community
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problems with vCenter, ESXi, and NFS

I am running ESXi 3.5.0 123629 and vCenter 2.5.0 Build 119598

Here are problems witnessed:

• If VIClient is connected to the ESXi host: I can properly create, remove, and browse NFS datastores.

• If VIClient is connected to the vCenter Server: I can't can't create, remove, or browse the NFS datastores.

• If VIClient is connected to the vCenter Server: While browse the NFS datastore called NFS01, it actually points to /var/log/vmware/vpx on the ESXi host instead of the NFS Server.

This is a screenhost of the host...it shows the local datastore and the NFS mount.

This is a screen shot of the same host (viewed from vCenter). It shows the local datastore, and 3 NFS mounts...each appended with (1), (2), (3) designators.

(I apologize if the screenshots don't show well.)

So - it appears that NFS mounts can't be managed from vCenter. Does anyone have information about this?

-Kevin

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Does your vCenter server have the proper access to the NFS server? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it could be that the vCenter machine actually needs to be able to look at the files on the NFS server. If you have both the direct VI connection and the vCenter connection open at the same time, does the direct connection still show the NFS datastore correctly?

KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That fixed it!

Thanks!

0 Kudos