VMware Cloud Community
Mattjohnston
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with IP configuration

Hi All,

I've just installed a copy of ESXi on one of our servers, and am interested in settings it up on the rest, however I have run into an issue. I had it working for the first day, and installed three VMs onto it (two Server 2003 Ent, one XP Pro).

It worked perfectly fine (great speed etc), so I decided to upgrade the server. Originally having 2GB of RAM, now having 4GB, everything seemed to work fine (e.g. BIOS detects, memtest runs fine, etc), however ESXi hangs on boot (sitting right after the motherboard DMI pool message, which does finish (e.g. the updating complete appears). I could boot off the VMware CD, as well as a Windows XP and Linux CD, with no problems. Repair of VMware had no effect.

Managed to get VMware reinstalled and working after manually nuking the drives and clearing the DMI as well as the entire BIOS settings.

However, upon loading, it shows an IP of 0.0.0.0, saying its static. If I go into the edit settings, it just comes up with a "Are you sure you want to reset to factory defaults?" message, which isnt what I intended (and not what it used to be). I've tried all the other options, to no avail. Even tried reformatting the drives with NTFS and reinstalling, and clearing the boot sector as well.

Any help is really appreciated, as i'd love to get our three servers on VMware.

Thanks,

Matt Johnston

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Matt,

When you say "Edit settings", is this under Network configuration in the VI client? Or is this from the console?

0 Kudos
Mattjohnston
Contributor
Contributor

No, as I cannot connect (it does not have a valid IP address, it's stuck on 0.0.0.0). So i'm doing it on the physical machine.

0 Kudos
Rocl_LI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mat,

Are you using HDD install or USB embedded? I'd like to know you and others experience on the use ESXi HDD.

I have several times of USB lost configuration after cold boot or perform normal reset/reboot from console/VI client. The lost config can be entirely or partial, or become lockdown mode that can not be recovered without reprogram the USB. I only had once not successful in update 82664 to 120505 so far that resulted a USB reprogram too.

The backup & restore config via R-CLI and remote access via iLo become very handy after those experiences,

cheers

Rocl

0 Kudos
Mattjohnston
Contributor
Contributor

I'm installing to HDD, one of two SATA hard drives.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

When you say you have tried everything are you including removing the added memory?

Maybe the mem is fubar!

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos