VMware Cloud Community
irbk
Contributor
Contributor

Problems installing the ESXe350-201105401-O-SG PATCH

I'm not sure if this is even the right patch for ESXi, VMWare's naming is so darn confusing.  I have a 3.5 ESXi server.  When I look at the "Help - About" it says it's ESX Server 3i version 3.5.0 Build 207095 (see attachment for full details).  I'm guessing that this is an update but it doesn't work.  I put the server into maintenance mode, I've verifided I've got pleanty of free space, but when I go to update the system, it gets about 60% of the way through "Updating firmware" then it gives an error "failed to install updates firmware unable to install".  I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong.  Any help would be much appreshated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
irbk
Contributor
Contributor

It was the date issue.  I changed the date to be before June 1st 2011 with NTP off and was able to update the server.  Sheesh that took forever to figure out.  So now my question is, my version information didn't seem to change.  How are you supposed to know what updates you need?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you used the update application you should be able to rescan the host(s) and apply the latest updates.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
irbk
Contributor
Contributor

A) From what I've read, VMWare has discontinued the "scan for updates" and you just get a "could not connect to update server" error now.

B) THe server "Help - about" is showing a newer release now, I just had to reboot the host before it took effect.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi updates are more like firmware. They completely replace the OS rather than update the current running version which is why a reboot is necessary. The previous install is always still available so in the event of a boot problem you can always start the previos one.

I don't know that the Host Update Utility is disabled in any way.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos