VMware Cloud Community
DerKaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Problems during installation of ESXi 3.5 U4 - drive error 01

Hello,

I am trying to install ESXi 3.5 U4 on a standard Dell PowerEdge6650. But everytime a boot from the CD I get the following error message:

"isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=4200, drive 00"

I have downloaded the iso file several times, checked the MD5 checksum and burned CD's of various manufacturer and speed. But it is allways the same ...

I have tried to install Ubuntu server 9.04 on this machine without any problems. After 30 minutes the server runs fine. Same to a windows 2003 test install, too. The I have downloaded ESXi 4.0 - but the problem was the same.

There are two logical drives in the server: Drive 00 is a RAID1 drive with two hardisks, drive 01 is a RAID5 drive with three harddisks. The Controller is a PERC 3/DC with latest BIOS.

Who has got an idea how to get the ESXi run on this server hardware.

Many thanks in advance,

best regards

Der Kaspar

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - have you confirmed that the controller is on the HCL? - http://www.vmware.com/resources/guides.html

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DerKaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

... thank you. :smileygrin:

I have had a look onto the pages for the whole serve rbecause it is a standard and not modified Dell server PowerEdge 6550 and it should run. But about the controller I can not find a hint.

Regards

DerKaspar

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This error occurs very early before there is any ESXi involved. It looks like the drive is not being recognized. Did you create an array in the controller menu?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DerKaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello DSTAVERT!

Yes, this is my impression, too. I have created the RAID in the Program of the Controller and checked it several times. I have seen that a Linux is used to start from CD so I have ask the LINUX community. But because I have no information what kind of Linux is used I do not get any suitable hints. It is very frustrating. I now have spend hours in finding a solution ... :smileyblush:

So I ask the VMWare community ...

Thank you in advance,

best regards

DerKaspar

0 Kudos
BKarciauskas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received a very similar error when installing ESXi Installable on a HP DL380G6 today. I got "isolinux: Disk error 74, AX=4200, drive 9F"

I installed ESXi installable on three other identical host servers with the same CD with no issue. I burnt another disk but it made no difference. I then decided it was hardware fault and ran the diagnostic utility however it found no fault with the server.

In the end I installed via iLo and the virtual media function using the ISO I burnt to the CD and it worked like a charm.

No idea what it could be to be honest but hopefully this might help someone if they run into the same issue.

Cheers,

Ben Karciauskas

Blog - http://karciauskas.wordpress.com

Cheers, Ben Karciauskas Blog - http://karciauskas.wordpress.com
0 Kudos