VMware Cloud Community
VitaliyBaskov
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with installation SUN Solaris 10 ESXi 3.5

We have got the situation on ESXi.

We use the next divice as server:

Hp Proliant Dl160 with 8 CPU x 2.66 GHz \ Intel Xeon E5430 @ 2.66 \ RAM 32 Gb.\ 4xSata 1Tb in RAID 1 on Raid controller LSI1064E \

We use demo version of esx3i, and what we have the problem i think have no link.

We try to install Solaris 10, we have got the ISO file with OS, attached it on virtual CD. We success boot from it, and begin answer on qestion in master of installation Solaris. After then start of preparation procces od dics formatting we have see follow situation, on 3% of progress the sytem is hold (hang up), and after the we have no see any activity in installation pprogress.

In second case: we same trying to convert the Solaris 10 from VMware Workstation to ESX server, and we have some different situation. On starting progress we have see error of mount filesystem, after that the system is reboot. If we use "faile safe" mode on Solaris, we see the bash where we can't find the mount disk.

Have you some comments about our case?

if you need any information, ask me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VitaliyBaskov
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot

to mention that during the test, we tried to install windows 2003

operating system, Unix FreeDSD, Linux RedHat 5, Ubunto, Debian. All

these facilities and the conversion was successful Smiley Happy The any other operation system is work, what's the problem with Solaris Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
VitaliyBaskov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all again, our problem with DL 160 have no end Smiley Happy

The description of this issue :

After 3 day work the server DL 160 with demo versio ESX 3i have done broke the filsystem, we thinked about it what VMFS is't supported for our Raid controller, but may be we have misstake Smiley Happy

So, we was buy SAS drive and deploy two RAID1, success install WMWare again but now we have some problem with network connection,we will try to resolve it, but not comletly yet.

This is not critical case for us,but the

impression it spoils why there are problems with some common hardware,

RAID controller which incidentally is the list of supported.:)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How large is are the disk you have installed and how large is the RAID? Have you confirmed if the hardware is on the HCL?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

In the first case, I have no idea what's going on - you need to check log files, both on ESXi and in the guest, to see why it's hanging when trying to format the disk.

In the second case, it's quite likely that VMware Workstation created your Solaris 10 VM with an IDE disk. ESX and ESXi do not support hard disks on the virtual IDE controller - the hard disks must be on either an LSI Logic SCSI controller on a BusLogic SCSI controller. This means that your Solaris VM must be loading the correct SCSI driver and pointing to the correct disk under ESXi.

0 Kudos
VitaliyBaskov
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

in first time we was use the (4x)SATA 1Tb with RAID 1 (1+1), but we have got the situation where our installed OS is broken, and we can't find the log file for answer on qeustion why Smiley Happy .

In second time we have 4x disc SAS of 750Gb, but the WmWare installation wizard won't find the raid, we have see the message "You have no disc for installation"

in last issue we was use the three disc with raid 1 (111HotSwop), we have sucsessfull install OS and now we prepair the test machine for import on our server.

But now we have sucess install server with VmWare but the we can check installation od Solaris we can do only after 12 Junuary.

I will answer if i got any news:)

Thnak you, Vitaliy.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

What controller did you define for the Solaris 10 VM?

Have you tried forcing it into 32Bit mode to do the install?

What info do you have in the vmware.log for the VM?

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos