VMware Cloud Community
Lugosi
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Uploading to DataStore

Hi

I have an ESXI server and I am trying to upload a file to the datastore using the datastore browser - it gets so far and then stops with the error "insufficient system resources exist to complete this operation" - there is plenty of disk space available and I have previously uploaded a 100GB file successfully - the file that is causing the problem is 150GB.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Lugosi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It might be a not enough RAM issue for SC.

Try using Veeam FastSCP (free) to do the transfer, generally I use this over datastore browser as it is alot more resilient and rarely fails. Also it is faster

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
Lugosi
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason I can't get FastSCP to connect to the datastore...

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ah yes, fastscp doesn't work on ESXi, my fault. A version should be released in Jan that will support ESXi.

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't mind going the unsupported route, then you can enable SSH on ESXi (http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php) and then use scp. Otherwise do you have a NFS server you could store the file and and then add as a datastore. You could then use vmkfstools.pl which should copy at a reasonable speed.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Dave,

Would RCLI "vifs.pl" work any better? I haven't tried the operation "put" for larger files, especially 100gb+. Might be another solution, if not then either NFS or vmkstools.pl as you already suggested.

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos