VMware Cloud Community
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Poor Disk Performance on T610 + software RAID

Hi all,

After reading the subject, you'll are probably like 'duh', but anyway, was curious if anybody had suggestions for me. I have a Dell T610 with a bunch of 1.5 TB drives inside it. I put 6 of these together in a RAID5 (software) on a RHEL5 VM. The performance hasn't been terrible, but it isn't good, that is for sure (lots of lagging, slow write rates, etc..). Anyway, I suspect what I did is bad bad bad, but was curious if anybody else had figured out a way to make this work well. I don't have a hardware RAID option and my requirement is to have a lot of space available for one VM to use and NFS serve out.

Thank you,

daryl

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Without a hardware RAID controller and writeback caching enabled (Need a Battery Module to support this) performance will be poor.

RAID 10 may give you better performance with what you have.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Fully agree with DSTAVERT, you really need a hardware raid controller with as much cache memory (battery backed) as possible. The differences is alot for my pass experience ..

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both. Yes, but without ESXi, I have plenty of software RAID5s that perform well enough for my needs. I was curious if there was a trick when dealing with the combination of software raid and ESXi.

daryl

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi does not support software RAID. It also doesn't support individual RAID LUNs over 2TB so your RAID controller would need to allow you to create virtual LUNs from your large array. Find a hardware RAID controller. Ebay or similar if you need to.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The best you can achieve will be individual disks. You can replicate VMs from disk to disk.

0 Kudos
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

For what it is worth, I upgraded the guest OS to RHEL6 and I am getting disk IO rates I would expect.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Great to hear about this. Can you share with us what sort of improvement are you getting? from X seconds to Y seconds.

0 Kudos
akrherz
Contributor
Contributor

Previously, I was getting about 10 MB/s writes.  Now I am upwards of 120 MB/s.  That's good enough for me Smiley Happy

daryl

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would really do some testing before you do anything serious. I would be concerned about a hard crash. Make absolutely sure you don't have write caching enabled.

0 Kudos