VMware Cloud Community
stnotes
Contributor
Contributor

Performance impact of supported network card

Background

1. I am considering ESX deployment so I did a small proof of concept test by assemblying cheapest setup for ESX 3.5i by reusing anything I can find.

2. One Vista desktop for VI Client. One ESX host. One P4 host as NFS server. ESX connects to NFS using a dedicated crossover cable.

3. Both ESX 3.5i and NFS hosts have multiple network cards.

4. Initially I run an unsupported PCI Gigabit NIC on ESX 3.5i(yes I mean -unsupported) and the same card on NFS server (proper Linux driver). The NFSDATASTORE was sucessfully created and XP guest running.

5. Like many people, I also encountered SLOW NFS Datastore problem. I have managed to improve the situation somewhat. Finally the WRITE rate is reasonable. However, irrespective of what I do, the READ rate will not improve.

6. I finally did the last resort. Change the unsupported NIC to ESX management interface. Change the other supported nic to become IP storage interface to NFS. Also did the same thing on NFS server by reversing the NIC connection so that it is using Intel nic for ESX-NFS need. Reconfigure both ESX and NFS server IP config and reboot.

7. Test file copy operation inside Guest VM. Great improvement

8. Test file operation over network to/from guest vm. Great improvement FTP/SMB.

Since this is proof of concept, the speed is OK with me. Anyhow, lesson learned. Need to pay for a good supported NIC.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

4. Initially I run an unsupported PCI Gigabit NIC on ESX 3.5i(yes I mean -unsupported)

Hello and welcome to the ESXi community forum.

Don't be shy, name that card! There are different grades of "unsupported"...

Since this is proof of concept, the speed is OK with me. Anyhow, lesson learned. Need to pay for a good supported NIC.

There is usually not just a difference in price between some xyz nic and a Broadcom or Intel Server nic.

0 Kudos
stnotes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Greeting!

Since I am using unsupported card and unsupported driver, I feel it is more proper/fair not to reveal the detail. I do want to note that I have tested many combination including changing vSwitch settings and ethtool options on involved hosts so the data have some basis.

The issue with Broadcom/Intel is price and availability in other parts of the world. For example, here reseller unable to offer Intel nic because distributor want them to buy up front several hundreds pieces of nic, local reseller cannot afford to do this.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since I am using unsupported card and unsupported driver, I feel it is more proper/fair not to reveal the detail.

Seems to be a Realtec, as I never heard anything else to be in working progress

I do want to note that I have tested many combination including changing vSwitch settings and ethtool options on involved hosts so the data have some basis.

You have to have a look in to the source of the linux driver. It's so big, because of all the workarounds and bug fixes in software for hardware issues. That's what I meant with "difference in hardware". Intel/Broadcom are just better engineered hardware.

The issue with Broadcom/Intel is price and availability in other parts of the world. For example, here reseller unable to offer Intel nic because distributor want them to buy up front several hundreds pieces of nic, local reseller cannot afford to do this.

You could try to buy over the internet (ebay and such stuff) but you are relying on customs/taxes. That could make it a bad deal.

0 Kudos