VMware Cloud Community
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

PSOD in my ESX 3.5 server

One of my esx server went down and shows purple screen (psod). I have attached the screenshot of the psod. It would be great, if anyone tell me about the cause of this problem and how can i get rid of this. Still i cant make the server up. So your answer will gonna be a great hint to make this up.

Thanks

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is saying it can't talk to physical CPU 0, which it requires to run ESX.

Looks like you have some sort of HW issue related to CPU0. I had this type of thing happen to me when a bad power regulator module failed for CPU socket 1. HP replaced the module and all was well.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is saying it can't talk to physical CPU 0, which it requires to run ESX.

Looks like you have some sort of HW issue related to CPU0. I had this type of thing happen to me when a bad power regulator module failed for CPU socket 1. HP replaced the module and all was well.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is a KB article talking about something similar to the screen shot you posted.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102021...

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had similar issue in past where PSOD was pointing to CPU 0 but in actual it was memory backplane/processor backplane that was causing the issue.

The PSOD can be caused by mainly processor/memory components.

It will need replacement of multiple parts to reach the root cause if Hardware diagnostics and Hardware LED on server does not point to any specific error.

It is not a fun situation to be in.

To begin with Reseat all memory DIMMS after cleaning and involve Hardware vendor ASAP.

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

thanks for the helpful

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos