VMware Cloud Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V converter from Microsoft VM to ESXi VM and then back

I went from a Microsoft VM created in the 2005 MS virtual server to my ESXi hypervisor VM with great successes. I now need to go back the other way; ESXi VM, (it is a MS 2003 server VM), to the mentioned MS virtual server, Can p2v converter do this? I know that MS has a lousy cumbersome process of using VSMT (command line long process) and the SCVMM2008 management center; I know this is a VMWare site which I favor over any MS system I just have to have a copy back to the standard that our company uses until I have them migrated over fully to an VMware infrastructure. Thanks for you help in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What steps do I need to do with winimage to convert it to VHD, I should say steps that you recommend?

Open winimage. click on disk -> convert virtual hard drive image.

Then you choose which format you want to convert. If you are doing vmdk, you click on vmdk and the location where the vmdk is located. Then it will prompt you for a name to save that as. So you click on the vmdk file you converted, click open.

Now you have to choose fixed size or dynamically expanding. This is asking you if want to keep the file static, meaning its all allocated now, or gradually increase the disk to fill to the capacity.

So if you have a VM that has a 30Gb drive, and you only have 10Gb filled. If you choose fixed, that means it will create that new *.vhd image as a 30Gb file (which means you have to copy a 30Gb file). OR you can choose dynamically expanding, which means it's ~10.5Gb file and as you fill up the VM it will grow to 30Gb over time.

If you are just testing and this will be a short term hyper-V make it dynamic. Fixed is good if you have a lot of VM's and you want to make sure you have the space.

Then after you choose the format, you select the file to be created. This is the target virtual hard drive. So you want to choose *.vhd and give it a name. The name really isn't important, but if you want to remember later what it is, make it something you will recognize and remember what its for.

Then that's pretty much it. The conversion will take it from here, it's not too bad in performance. Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
51 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use VMware Converter also to convert from other format to VMware format.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Dan_Willis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think you can use P2V Converter to convert from VMware to Virtual Server (it's not really in VMware's best interests) - I'm not able to find anything that can do that either - Hyper-V, yes... but not Virtual Server.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

; As you can see from my post I did that already. I just need to go back the other way.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't believe VMware Converter can convert a VMware VM to a M$ VM. You may have better luck exporting to a .ovf and then using M$ to import. Don't know if that will work since I've never used M$ Virtual Server, but.....

0 Kudos
Dan_Willis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

MS Virtual Server supposedly supports .ovf so that'd probably work...

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dan Willis , thanks I didn't think so. The tools that I mentioned from MS does this however, like I said it's a tedious process, to go from ESX VM to Microsoft. I do know with P2v converter I can go from an ESXi VM to a physical Box which is cool. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just need to go back the other way.

You can use the same program to do P2P, like Acronis tools, or Symantec BESR.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

please consider the use of the "correct" or "helpful" buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy Clavell and Dan, can you provide me with more info in this .ovf extension is this what you can convert your ESX vmdk or vmx file to??

thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

power off the VM in question, highlight it, go to your main tool bar and select file-virtual applianceexport.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I now need to go back the other way; ESXi VM, (it is a MS 2003 server VM), to the mentioned MS virtual server, Can p2v converter do this?

piece of cake! One word: Winimage

You select the vmdk OR vhd. You select convert image, it will prompt for both, you choose which one to convert from / to. It's free. no hassle, and it makes a copy, it doesn't actually convert. But the copy is the image version you want.

0 Kudos
Dan_Willis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Google .ovf - it's a open-platform virtualisation standard for virtual appliances. Troy's answer will get you going within VMware. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy Clavell ; then I will see the file extension that you mentioned once it's exported? Don't worry about the points I'm good at giving them out. Let's try this first and I will let you know how it went. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think you can use P2V Converter to convert from VMware to Virtual Server (it's not really in VMware's best interests) - I'm not able to find anything that can do that either - Hyper-V, yes... but not Virtual Server.

winimage can do it.

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

0 Kudos
Dan_Willis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow - I used to use Winimage to create floppy disk images. Had no idea it converted vmware to MS and so forth.. clever stuff.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

; comes in with a good one. Have you used it? I will try it and let you know how it goes.. Thanks for all of your help

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you used it? I will try it and let you know how it goes

Yes of course, would I steer you wrong? Smiley Wink

That's how I test my vm images on Hyper vslackerware. It works pretty well. No over complicated methods, just select file and choose format.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

; I guess I have to shut My VM down on my ESXi server and export the files to my local XP pc and use winimage form there?? I was thinking of a way to keep my VM up like I do when I do the physical to VM process. If I can't with winimage then that's fine as well. Thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess I have to shut My VM down on my ESXi server and export the files to my local XP pc and use winimage form there??

Yes, that's correct, it can convert files but unfortunately the VM must be off to do it. Plus winimage is a Windows tool, maybe they will write one for ESX, that would be EPIC!

0 Kudos