VMware Cloud Community
shagilm
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Query

Hi,

I'm doing an ESXi install next week on a Dell 2900. The current OS is SuSE Enterprise 10 installed on an LVM split over 3 SAS drives. I'm installing ESXI to a 1 TB SATA drive.

My query is this : Once ESXi is installed and running will I be able to virtualise the SUSE install using the P2V tools ???

Thanks,

Shane

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The potential guest and ESX need to be running currently to use vmware converter. I suppose you might be able to create a VM using RDM.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Or you can do it with a standalone converter cd, I think!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
shagilm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Will the stand alone converter work if the SuSE OS is not running??? I've done P2V where the potential guest is running - In my case I'm trying to virtualise the physically installed OS on the box that ESXi is installed on so the orignal OS will not be running.

Can I point the P2V tools at physical disk partitions and convert them to dynamic disks????

Thanks,

Shane

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please read this

=

I don't used it by myself until now, because we'are nor running other machine that windows, and with them you can alway use hot cloning!

Sorry!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have any other ESX hosts online? If you have access to the Conterver boot disk, you could potentially boot the server using that and convert the SuSE OS to a VM on another host or a standalone VM (a.k.a., just create the VM files) either locally or on a network share. After that, boot back into ESXi and import the new VM.

I haven't tried this in the scenario that you're describing, but it sounds like it would work. Just treat it as a convert to either a different host or a standalone VM.

-Justin
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First create a vm with Converter of your physical SuSE server, then store the VM files somewhere else, not on the same server.

Reinstall the server with ESX and import the VM with Converter.

shagilm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

This sounds like the most straight-forward way of achieving what I need.

0 Kudos