VMware Cloud Community
vanb
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle running on VM

Hi All,

i am new to Vmware but, we at work have virtual machines setup (using some vmware solution (not sure which)), our oracle database is on a virtual machine but it runs amazingly slow, so i looked in the enterprise manager and it found huge peaks in I/O.

my question is...

is this problem due to too many virtual machines on a server or is it linked to the SAN setup?

is it recommended to have an oracle database setup in a virtual environment?

thanks in advance

nav

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

virtualization in vmware only consume very thin layer of resources for it's hypervisor. for the slowness of the VM it would pretty be much to do with how the SAN storage is being designed. i run many oracles and there are good as long as you size them correctly.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Oracle should be fine in your VM evironment - you probably need to ry figure out where your actual performance problems are caused.

For example, if you have allocated many VMs high numbers of CPUs (particularly giving VMs 8 vCPUs) can actually slow you donw as the VM waits for processors to be available.

Have a look at ESXTOP to figure out what is actually slowing your VM down (it can be Disk I/O, CPU, Memory, CPU scheduling etc etc etc)

Some useful info to be found here:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/esxtop/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos