VMware Cloud Community
Doders69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Open Port 22 on 3i server

Hi All,

Ive been at this for about 2 hours now and I cant work it out.

I need to copy an ISO to our Evaluation ESX server, but WINSCP says port 22 is closed. All the documenttation says to open a command line and changed the ssh parameters, however our 3i doesnt have a command line available (apparently none of the 3i's do ?? ).

So can anyone enlighten me as to how I can get files to this server, either via winscp or fastscp ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rnourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3i does not have a console so there's nothing to ssh into... if you want to put something ontop a datastore with 3i you'll need to find another way to access the lun.

Try this:

1. upgrade your version of the VI client to the latest level 2.5. On a 3.5 system you can simply point a browser at https://<server_not_vc_address>/client/VMware-vicloient.exe With 3i I'm not sure but you can probably find it on the vmware.com/downloads page

2. With the new client, point at either VC or the esx host from your pc. Log in and double click on the datastore to bring up the datastore browser

3. In the to icon bar you'll see two new icons, one for upload and one for download. click the upload icon

4. select the file you'd like to upload

ta-da!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rnourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3i does not have a console so there's nothing to ssh into... if you want to put something ontop a datastore with 3i you'll need to find another way to access the lun.

Try this:

1. upgrade your version of the VI client to the latest level 2.5. On a 3.5 system you can simply point a browser at https://<server_not_vc_address>/client/VMware-vicloient.exe With 3i I'm not sure but you can probably find it on the vmware.com/downloads page

2. With the new client, point at either VC or the esx host from your pc. Log in and double click on the datastore to bring up the datastore browser

3. In the to icon bar you'll see two new icons, one for upload and one for download. click the upload icon

4. select the file you'd like to upload

ta-da!

0 Kudos
Doders69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank GOD for you.... Cheers

0 Kudos
OS2Guy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Note that does work of course (and like the datastore browser with up/download feature myself) and is great for getting OS and application ISOs onto the server. However, I believe it is beneficial to share that if the 3i server has local storage and is not being managed with VC you could be in for some trouble. My VCB 1.5 backups from a 3.5 (non-i) host would not start when copied up via the VI client to a 3.5i host. It said something about a file missing.

I had to import them to a host (3.5i also) being managed with VC which then started fine but had to set the IP again statically and a LAN connection 2 instead of what was there before. I know we should have VC manage everything but we just got it with two new nodes (and finally SAN storage for VI) late in Q3 and I have 3 other stand alone ESXs to manage (2 upgraded from 2.5.4) and it has been a huge thorn in my side (thanks in advance for any empathy Smiley Happy ).

The trade off with 3.5i or embedded is you don't get to use tools like Veeam FastSCP or WinSCP.

JC

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your post has been moved to the ESXi forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is possible to enable SSH on 3i, but it is not supported. Best to stick with the datastore browser or vifs.pl from the RCLI.

0 Kudos