VMware Cloud Community
Varazir
Contributor
Contributor

Old linux and vmtools

Hello

I'm running a linux router as guest OS.

It's called Freesco, it runs on a old 2.0.4 kernel.

What I wan't is to be able to shut it down using VIC.

so I don't need to logon to the system and halt the system before I shut down the ESXi server.

rgd Varazir

Edit: And is there a Linux update client ? ( running ubuntu server )

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think the tools will run on a kernel that old. You may be able to install just the VMware Tools daemon without the kernel modules, but I highly doubt the kernel modules will work in that old a version of Linux.

The only Linux-based client components for managing ESX(i) are the RCLI tools, available on the download site. I've been asking for Linux client tools for years, now, for ESX 3.x and higher, and have yet to see that materialize.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Probably your only hope is building the tools from source, but even then it's still doubtful. Worth a try though.

Either extract the .tar.gz from the CDROM ISO attached when you select 'install vmware tools' and build from that, or use the Open-Vm-Tools. I'd go with the latter personally.

Available here: http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/

nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I highly doubt the source will compile on the 2.0 series kernels - either the VMware source or the Open-VM-Tools source. Also, it's questionable whether a router distro like that would actually have a compiled and the necessary development files installed.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey I did say it was his only hope, unlikely, but it might work with enough fiddling...maybe. OK probably not. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Varazir
Contributor
Contributor

hehe, ya I know it's a hopeless race to get new things to working on my router Smiley Happy

I like my router, easy to setup and it's small

thanks for all the help

0 Kudos