VMware Cloud Community
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

No able to install OS through bootable UDF image from disk or DVD

Hi all,

I 'm trying to install an OS, Windows7rc with option Vista.

I configure a new VM.

Then start the VM and connect or an iso-image or CD/DVD drive through the console of VIC.

However the VM doesn't 'see' the bootable CD/DVD to start the setup process.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanx

JaapL

Netherlands

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you confirmed there is a check mark next to "connect at power on"/ "connected", as well as is this .iso bootable anywhere else?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

UDF formatted CD's usually require a special UDF driver to be usable. I would doubt that unless the disk was "converted" it would be bootable.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I burned the DVD with Nero v6.

I tried to burn it with the options: DVD/iso - DVD-ROM (bootable) - DVD(UDF)ISO.

This was refused becasue of the size of the ISO was greater then 2Gb.

I 've tried to burn the .iso with: ISObuster and Active ISO burner (also with extracted files from .iso).

Same result. Said that the .iso was to big. Burning .iso with extracted files (removed ei.cfg) it said the file install.wim was too big.

I must do something wrong here.

Dstavert: what do you mean with 'converted'?

Thanx Jaap

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

UDF is a special CD DVD format. It basically ends up being a large floppy disk that you can just copy files to with explorer. You can't use UDF format. Probably not your problem.

You must write the image to a CD not DVD. You will need to look for something like "Burn disk image to CD". ISO is not Nero's default image format.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks again for your answer.

Because the .iso I try to install is over 2Gb burning it to a CD off course is not an option.

I didn't tell I was trying to install the RC of Windows7.

That must have misled you a bit.

I did find a .iso burner that did allow to burn it as an .iso to DVD:Burn4fre CD and DVD.

The DVD however didn't want to start either.

I found out that you can enter the BIOS of the VM and set the boot for CD and most important set the 'Power on boot dely to 10.000ms or more.

Then with ESC you can choose the CD/DVD as boot device.

However.......

Although copying the files went quickly, expanding the files took ages.

I don't know exactly what the cause is yet, but at vm-help I 've read that the on-board NICs of my MoBo (MSI M58 Platinum) stink, speed-wise I mean.

I will try another install after installing another NIC (Intel pro 10/100/1000 GT which is properly recognized under VMware)

I will have to re-install VMware then though.

Thanks,

Jaap

0 Kudos