VMware Cloud Community
Crowdedisland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbe question regarding network setup of ESXi 3.5

I have ESXi 3.5 running nicely on a Dell Poweredge T300. I want to hookup a Netgear ReadyNas Pro Business Edition to this Dell and connect it by iscsi.

I want to connect 1 nic from the ReadyNas to 1 nic from the Dell.

My question is on the Dell when I go to ESXi server and customize by hitting F2 and goto network settings I see the following:

X vmnic0 embeeded nic1

vmnic1 embedded nic2 used by vswitch1

Maybe I am being thick but can you explain which nic on the ESXi server is being used for interenet access and which one I need to configure for the iscsi? I thought it should be obvious but is it vmnic0 or vmnic1?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Your ESXi host has two configured vswitchs each of which uplinks to physical NIC in system.

vswitch0 which uplinks to vmnic0 (Which despite having a red x indicating an issue seems to be fine) this vswitch holds you management interface (IP 192.168.2.107) and a virtual machine portgroup for your VMS.You also have another vswitch vswitch1 which uplinks to GB NIC vmnic1. This vswitch has unused virtual machine port group. Also a VLAN ID has been set for this vswitch which would lead me to belive that VST is/was operating on this host in the past.

Did you set this up? If not i would suggest getting with whoever did.

Checkout "The Great vSwitch Debate" parts 1 and 2 for starters.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can access your host via Virtual infastructure client? If so can you see more detail under "configuration" "networking"

0 Kudos
Crowdedisland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I am still slightly confused.

The Readynas is configured for nic1 192.168.2.107 and nic2 192.168.168.168

I am not sure if vmnic1 even has an ip address but I have attached a diagram that may show you.

Also do I need to have two nics configured on each vm that wants to use the Readynas as an iscsi target?

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Your ESXi host has two configured vswitchs each of which uplinks to physical NIC in system.

vswitch0 which uplinks to vmnic0 (Which despite having a red x indicating an issue seems to be fine) this vswitch holds you management interface (IP 192.168.2.107) and a virtual machine portgroup for your VMS.You also have another vswitch vswitch1 which uplinks to GB NIC vmnic1. This vswitch has unused virtual machine port group. Also a VLAN ID has been set for this vswitch which would lead me to belive that VST is/was operating on this host in the past.

Did you set this up? If not i would suggest getting with whoever did.

Checkout "The Great vSwitch Debate" parts 1 and 2 for starters.

0 Kudos
Crowdedisland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank ou for pointing that out. The second vswitch was my attempt to setup a second network on a different vlan for testing purposes. I realized that

1. I can do that on one switch using port groups

2. My physical firewall doesn't support 1q so it doesn't mattter for now

I have deleted the second vswitch and now can add it to the managment network if that is what I should do buit when I do that it tells me it will add it for fault tolerance and load balancing not so Ic an use it for another subnet. Is this something I configure at the vswitch elvel ?

0 Kudos