VMware Cloud Community
bhrt60
Contributor
Contributor

New user pod ESXi - need some guidence

I have download and setup a couple of Virtual Machines with ESXi

Works great.

My application - Single box for Windows 2003 SBS and Windows 2003 Std + Terminal Services

I'm now looking at setting up a Production system my question is how to setup storage.

Server hardware Intel QuadCore Xeon 2.5Ghz, 8Gb RAM, 4 x SAS 300Gb Drives as RAID5

Currently have just over 570Gb Data.

My question is how should I setup the Server given this amount of storage requirement?

The Windows Standard will be a member server and I plan on having a 10Gb virtual disk for this.

Do I create the rest as Virtual Disk??

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

Welcome to the forums!

In your scenario, you already have a VMFS datastore with VM's located on it. You can no longer use it as an RDM.

So, yes you will need to create a virtual disk big enough to store your 570GB of data if you have enough space.

How many ESXi boxes are you planning to have in production?

In production, I would recommend using multiple ESXi hosts with some type of shared storage, that way you can take advantage of things like vmotion, DRS and HA etc...

Have a read of the documents on this page, it should help you along nicely.

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2.html

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums - I would say just create a single VMFS data store witht he remaining storage on the RAID 5 and then create virtual disks for your virtual machines carving the storage up taht way -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
bhrt60
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

At this point I'm not 100% sure about virtual disk for data!!

Would I be better creating say 146Gb SAS RAID-1 for the ESXi & OS's and mount the RAID 5 as a Physical disk

In Virtual environment am I going to benefit from speed of storage ie. SAS ??

(The other option I though of was to have a Physical Raid-1 using a pair of 1Tb SATA and using Rsync to make a copy of the data each night - for comfort of knowing data is availabel on a physical device!!!)

0 Kudos
bhrt60
Contributor
Contributor

Backup - do Tape drives work in Virtual environment.

I coudn't find any reference to Tape drives on Vmware site. Maybe I didn't search correctly!

I normally use BackupExec with say LTO3 or 4

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I believe there are quite a few people who have had success using tape drives in ESX(i) - passing them through from host to guests. That question has been posted around the forums quite a few times - there are definitely some obstacles to getting it to work correctly, but it can be done.

0 Kudos