VMware Cloud Community
newbie100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to ESXi : Simple backup question

Hi,

I am new to ESXi but have used VMWare Server and WorkStation.

My current practice is to create VM's with disk / filesize in increments of 2GB.

This way, I endup with small files even for a 80GB virtual hdd. I can then move the files to another VMWare host and recreate the entire VM.

Now on ESXi, I see that the entire 80GB is allocated....

If I take a snapshot (which I guess results in a smaller file), and backup that, would it be sufficient to re-create the VM and then

revert to the snapshot ? Would I be able to do this on another ESXi host ??

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OVF format exports are surprisingly small in most cases, depends how full your VMs disks are, null blocks are excluded and the data is compressed on export.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to the Forums - no a snapshot ESXi is not a copy of the data - a snapshot actually creates a delta file reccording block level changes to the original virtual disk so you would need to cature both - there are two routes to back up VMs - install a back up agent in vm or use VCB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Another thread to look at regarding backups of ESXi - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1063420

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
sumpfgottheit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

I found out, that the free VMWare Converter can help. You can connect to the ESXi and copy a VM to another one or to the file system.

best regards,

florian

newbie100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to all of you for the input.

I have used the converter in the past, but from VMWare 1.0.4 server --> ESXi.

I will try the other way and hopefully, it should work.

Another way I believe may help me is exporting as a Virtual Appliance..

Although I am not sure how large the output file will be... (and its still in ovf format, but thats not a problem).

Thanks again

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OVF format exports are surprisingly small in most cases, depends how full your VMs disks are, null blocks are excluded and the data is compressed on export.

0 Kudos
newbie100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

But I believe there is a pending issue with VMWare ESXi 3.5 and exports.

Many people have reported the same issue I am facing :- I/O error while exporting.

I was able to export a blank VM, but when I tried an 80GB one, it bombed out after a few minutes, but did create

approx 1GB of output and reported 0% finished Smiley Sad

Will try again with smaller VM's

Thanks again

0 Kudos