VMware Cloud Community
kishore007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New VM image from an existing .vmx

vmware esx server using vmware viclient

In the data store i have an existing vmware image with .vmx and .vmdk in a separate folder.(folder1)

I copy the contents of above folder(folder1) to a separate folder(folder2) in data store.

Now from folder2 i want to bring up the .vmx image in folder2.I know how to use the .vmdk in folder but not able to make out how to reuse the existing .vmx

Thats a herculean task to figure it out.!!!

Thanks

Kishore

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken, u just only want to bring up the .vmx in folder2. Right click, choose add to inventory. Perhaps u need to change the uuid too.

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The easiest and appropirate way is actually to simply right click vm1 from the inventory and choose the clone option to create a clone of it.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaken, u just only want to bring up the .vmx in folder2. Right click, choose add to inventory. Perhaps u need to change the uuid too.

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And if you create a clone of the image, and its a Microsoft OS, use newSID to create new security info so that the machine will be truly unique on your network.

Bindu09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

vmware esx server using vmware viclient

I have multiple VM images with multiple snap shots stored in one of my ESX server box and i need to move all of them to another ESX server,

Can anybody help me out in figuring out solution for the same.

Thanks in Advance

Bindu Dey.

0 Kudos