VMware Cloud Community
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New Disk and Datastore on esxi

Ok So I have ESXI happily up and running on a PC at home but as I was running out of disk space, I have purchased and added a second SATA drive and installed it in the machine. When i booted VMWARE up I was able to see the new disk no problem and it allowed me to go through the process of creating a new VMFS filesystem on it. However after completing the create filesystem wizard, the Recent Tasks section in the VI client just says "Create VMFS datastore" "In Progress" with no percentage listed it has been like that for an hour now with no progress and any other options in the client lead to a pop upo saying "The request failed because the remote server took too long to respond" .The disk is 500gb, the machine is a quad core cpu with 8gb of RAM. Any clues if this is normal and I should continue to wait, or any other options other than trying to reboot the box. Also for creating the datastore should the vmware host be in Maintenance mode or not or does it not make any difference.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Brett

0 Kudos
1 Reply
brettcarr1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok so an update on this, the creation of the new datstore succeeded eventually after about an hour and a half. I then started to move some of my VM's to it, the first VM was 16gb and it took about an hour and a half to copy and then stopped with an error saying all the files could not be copied. Everytime i try and access the new datastore I get very long pauses (multiple minutes) before I can browse the datastore and file copies are taking forever. Is this a faulty disk or is expecting VMWARE to work with 2 SATA drives expecting too much.

In storage adapters I see 4 entries

The working disk is plugged into vmhba33:0:0

The disk causing me issues is plugged into vmhba1:0:0

vmhba34 and vmhba0 are both empty

This fits with the four SATA ports on the motherboard.

I don't know much about SATA I'm afraid, is the port I selected relevant and would using one of the other two make any difference?

Thanks for any help.

Brett

0 Kudos