VMware Cloud Community
p3pp0
Contributor
Contributor

Network Speed sometimes good/bad, seems to depending on nothing

Hey Guys,

my English is not so good so please excuse me..

I run EsXi3.5 with several virtual maschines

2 of them are Fileservers on different physical disks: both running opensuse 11.1, exactly the same configuration, just the share name and ip is different

I only have 1 nic - 1 network - 1 vswitched configured

The problem is, that the network speed is very slow <1 Mbit with a 1000mbit nic SOMETIMES, when i copy a file over smb, (Network speed is also slow on ftp, over putty,...)

I put my laptop with a cross over cable directly to the ESXi's Nic and the problems are exactly the same, so i think the network cant be the problem

Most of the time, Fileserver 1 has the speed problems, fileserver 2 runs correctly, but sometimes both have the problem.

Pings to Both Maschines are <1ms, tracert displays only 1 hop...

tcpdump shows only normal packets, nothing i have not expected...

When suspend the virtual maschine and put it on again, the problem is SOMETIMES solved for some time, after an hour or after a day the problem is back again, somtimes the suspend and putting on again has no effect on the speed (this is not my normal way to solve problems, i found that out by pure chance)

The last thing i can see is that when i take a look at my nic configuration, the "observed" network changes sometimes... i dont no if this is a indication

Speed mode is manually set to 1000 Full Duplex...

Feel Free to ask me questions or to tell me what i can test... i read through the vmware forums for some evenings but i couldnt solve the problem

thanks

Mathias

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Do you have VMware Intsalled in both fileservers?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
p3pp0
Contributor
Contributor

vmtools installed now on all maschines

nothing has changed... i found out, that the maschines that dont work fast have a high txqueuelent count when i type ifconfig

which maschine does work changes and i dont know what caused the change...

can someone help me please??

0 Kudos