VMware Cloud Community
ged125
Contributor
Contributor

Network Adapters Not Installing After P2V

I recently did a P2V conversion on a Dell 630 Laptop running windows vista business 32-bit edition. The conversion completed successfully, however after I powered it up and install the VMWare tools, the network card auto-detect failed with an error saying it couldn't find the file. I added another E1000 network card from settings and it failed as well. Is there something I need to do to manually point the computer to the driver? Or can I delete the driver that is on there so it will require a reinstall?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure in the vm edit settings for the network adapter, that the checkbox for connected is checked. The vmware tools service will install the proper drivers for you.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
ged125
Contributor
Contributor

It is checked, and VMTools try to install the driver but it doesn't work. See the two attached screen shots, this happens every time I reboot. When I click "Find Driver Automatically" on the first one, the 2nd screen comes up.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I wonder if UAC is keeping the driver from loading. Is UAC enabled? Can you disable it? Uninstall, reboot, reinstall the vmware tools, then re-enable uac if you wish?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
ged125
Contributor
Contributor

UAC was never enabled in this scenario.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It is enabled by default. Did you turn it off before starting this?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
ged125
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I always disable it when installing Vista.

0 Kudos