VMware Cloud Community
lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Netowkring For Virtual Machines

Hi can somone please tell me how about should i do this.

i got vm i want local connection but not go thorught the internet. on the smae network

how do i seet this up.

Thanks

Lekshmen Kannan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Which is the VMware product you are using?

If i understand the question correctly you are looing to setup the VM networking and doesnt want it to go on the internet.. is that correct...?

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thats correct i'm using vmware esxi. i just one one of my vm not to go throught the internet but to have local connection for rdp use and other things.

Thanks

Lekshmen Kannan

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Do you have proxy to be used for the internet? If yes, simply dont configure the proxy on the VM. Else what you can do is,,, add the NIC onto another subnet say 192.168.0.100 and similarly from the VM you want to access it...add a connection in the same range....it will definitely work for you. hope this helps..

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i don't have a proxy can you please give me a step by step detail guide for this i'm really bad at configuring esxi.

sorry for the hassle

Thanks

Lekshmen Kannan

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Say for e.g you are using 135.122.34.100 IP for the VM which can connect to internet. And it is using the Network Label as VM Network.

Add a another new NIC to this VM and assign a IP say 192.168.0.100

On the VM on which we dont need internet...add a NIC with Network Label as VM Network.

Now assign the IP 192.168.0.200

To access that VM, you can first RDP to first VM, and then do rdp to another VM thur the first one using the 192...IP....hope this clarifies....

Regards

Anil

lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do i need a phycial nic for this

Thanks

For your Help

Lekshmen Kannan

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Nooo...we are talking about VM's and not the host.....

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry this is really confusing i don't really understand how to do this can you please make a detailguide step by set how to do this.like step one etc.here my netowkr config if it helps.

My Network config

my file server ip 192.168.1.7

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

Thanks

Lekshmen Kannan

Sorry for the hassle again

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Please provide me details of the two VM's the one which have internet access and the other VM which doesnt need internet access..

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
lk5246
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i want all my vm to have internet except the file server i just want local connection.

All my vm currently got internet connection.but i don't want my file server gooing throught the internet.

Thanks

Lekshmen Kannan

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If all your VMs are on the same subnet i.e. the VMs are all 192.168.1xx with subnet mask set in TCP/IP properties of 255.255.255.0

Then if you remove the default gateway from the Fileserver (See Attached) it will still be able to talk to other VMS on the same subnet (Computers with IP address 192.168.1.xx where xx is the last octet) but would not be able to access external networks (Including the internet).

Just a thought