VMware Cloud Community
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

Need to add network card to Server

I have a vmware esxi 3.5 server and I just put a qlogic network card in it. However the card does not show up on my management page under networking. I don't know anything about linux so I don't really know how to install the driver for the card or if I have to. Can somebody help me out?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Is the NIC on the HCL and I assume you rebooted ESX after installing the NIC? It usually does it itself if you watch the console while it reconfigures.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have the link to the HCL for ESXi? Let me check the NICs documentation and see. I had to shut it down to install it but let me reboot it again.

0 Kudos
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

I watched the server boot and it comes up with this error: loading module qla4022 exec of command... succeeded but returned with non-zero status:1. Anyone ever seen anything like this in vmware or linux?

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi35_io_guide.pdf

Make sure it's on the list and supported under 3i

If not, it's most likely why your seeing the non-zero status error.

If it is on the HCL, you will need the right drivers.

0 Kudos
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

It's on the HCL, so how do I install the drivers?

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which qlogic card is it?

If it's on the HCL the drivers should already be there.

0 Kudos
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

QLA4050

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but if I'm not mistaken that patch is for ESX and I'm running ESXi.

0 Kudos
chevymannie
Contributor
Contributor

Still can't get it work. From what I see that driver isn't loading for some reason. Any help at this point would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jshelly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your correct, forgot your running ESXi

Shooting in the dark here, but you may want to consider updating the qlogic firmware.

http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=82&P...

It certainly couldn't hurt having the lastest firmware, and it may solve your problem.

Let me know how it works out unless you a have already fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Isn't that a iSCSI card ..... ?? shouldn't you be looking under Storage adapter as opposed to Network Adapters?

Check under storage you should see it as vmhbaxx and you will be able to configure it from there.

-Surya

0 Kudos