VMware Cloud Community
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

***Need help*** my ESXi server will not obtain an IP address from DHCP?!?!!?

Ok, background:

VMWare ESX server 3i 3.5.0 build - 153875

Dell Precision Workstation T3500

Intel Xeon CPU W3520 @2.67Ghz

12GB Mem

Issue:

Vmmachine will not obtain an IP address from my router.... managment console displays 0.0.0.0

I know that cable is good

I've used the connection from my desk PC...and still nothing

NIC connection light is illumintated

Ping test to default gateway router fail...

cannot change to Static (will not allow me...when i navigate to Configure Managment Network --my only option is to restart the managment console....

0 Kudos
22 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Your NIC card is probably not recognized. Check the HCL to see if the NIC is supported.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

I can not find a Broadcom 5761 in the HCL, however I do not find anything saying there is an issue w/ this card.....

The machine shipped w/ Linux Red Hat and I didn't wipe the partion (dell has partioned the hard disk) that Vm defaulted to....

could this be an issue????

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The extra partition won't be an issue. If you access the console (see first link) and run lspci -p, is a module loaded for the NIC?

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/find_PCI_ID.php

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help so far. I have gotten to console screen...however when I type in your command the screen scrolls too fast for me to see anything...Im trying to locate a simple command in vi to move the screen back up...

****UPDATE********

Ok, i think i have it....

It reads

05:00.00 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You could run it as lspci -p | less or lspci-p > /tmp/output.txt and then open that with VI.

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, im sure this is painful for you.

I have the output.txt file open in vi now....but i dont see anything about Broadcom....

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Do you see any devices with a PCI vender id of 14e4? If you run lspci / lspci you may see an entry for unknown network controller.

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

I do not see any vendor ID for 14e4....

Vidal Villarreal

Manager - Information Technology

Chicago, IL 60606

dir   312-204-6019

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Even if you run lspci -v?

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

Found it!

Ethernet Controller Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Class 0200: 14e4:1681

What does that mean??!!?

dir   312-204-6019

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The NIC is not on this list, so ESXi doesn't load a driver for it. http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php

It you think it would be compatible with the tg3 driver, then try this at the console -- /sbin/vmkload_mod /mod/tg3.o

When the driver loads, it should go through all PCI devices to check which ones it can work with - see /var/log/messages for output when you run this. If the driver is able to work with the NIC OK, you should be able to run lspci -p and see vmnic(x) for the NIC and the tg3 driver listed under module. Then we'll have to make a few more changes to make the change permanent.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I've used the connection from my desk PC...and still nothing

So does this mean you took a laptop, unplugged that same cable from the back of the ESX server, plugged it into the laptop, and that laptop can get a DHCP address?

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

Yes....in a way.

I pulled the cable from my laptop...and plugged it into the ESX server, rebooted and was unable to get an IP address.

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to load module 'tg3' : invalid argument

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I pulled the cable from my laptop...and plugged it into the ESX server, rebooted and was unable to get an IP address.

OK, but the question was..did you UNPLUG the cable FROM the BACK of the ESX server and PLUG it INTO a LAPTOP to verify THE LAPTOP can get a DHCP address.

Switching cables is NOT the same thing. Connectivity is the issue, since OBVIOUSLY the cable works.

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

I understood your question...but no, I have not tried that.

How is that different than taking the ether cable that is connected to my working laptop (the one I am writing this to you with)...plugging that into the back of the esx server..rebooting...and not getting an ip address...wouldn't that rule out what I think you are trying to establish?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

plugging that into the back of the esx server..rebooting...and not getting an ip address...wouldn't that rule out what I think you are trying to establish?

NO. If you take a known cable to another machine, how do we know the port to where the cable ultimately connects to is working? That's my point! Just because the cable works, does not imply that the port works. If you unplug a power cable from the monitor and plug it into the computer, and the computer won't turn on, the problem may be the jack that cable is plugged into, so if we don't rule out the jack / outlet the cable won't make a difference now will it.

0 Kudos
vvillarreal
Contributor
Contributor

I should have explained myself better.....

I am pulling the cable from my laptop (but leaving it on my working port) and plugging into esx server.....so I am using a known working port to test dhcp connectivity

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It may be the case that the driver with ESXi isn't going to work with this particular NIC. Can you add another NIC and are you using the Update 4 install CD?

0 Kudos