VMware Cloud Community
RatPWRD72
Contributor
Contributor

Need a little quidence on updating and patching my server

I am trying to use VM infrastructure update tool from my workstation.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Launch the update tool. Click the "Check Now" button. Assuming you need updating Click the HOSTS tab. Select the machines that need updating and click APPLY.

Most updates require a restart. You will need to powerdown your VMs. Put your Host(s) into maintenance mode from the summary tab in the VI client and when it completes the maintenance mode task select Reboot.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
RatPWRD72
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I suppose I should have mentioned that this network cannot touch the internet. So my current method is to download the patches, burn them to a disk and upload them manually. I have been putting my build number in the utility on the VM site and getting the applicable patches and pre-reqs. My issue is that the site says there are more updates needed but when I try to upload them in the updater utility it say "package does not contain applicable updates" Example:ESX350-200905405-BG

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Towards the end of this doc

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3i_i/r35/vi3_35_25_3i_i_setup.pdf

0 Kudos
RatPWRD72
Contributor
Contributor

I have read the quide its got me this far. Does anyone know other than using the build # if there is a way to see what patches have allready been applied?

Thanks for tips DSTAVERT

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Patches may also apply to a particular set of hardware or cure a specific problem and occur between updates. Read the corresponding KB article to see if they do apply and don't add them if they don't.

0 Kudos