VMware Cloud Community
wizard948
Contributor
Contributor

NOT RECOGNIZING NIC

i installed VMWARE ESXI 3.50 UPDATE 2. IT INSTALLED FINE BUT WHEN ITS TIME TO CONFIGURE I CAN'T. I THINK ITS NOT RECOGNISE MY NIC

WHAT CAN I DO.............

kervin
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of server and NIC do you have? Is the PCI id for the NIC on this list - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm going to assume that this is some PC that you bought or Built? Not all hardware works with ESXi. If you're NIC isn't on the HCL it might not work. Here's an article on ESXi and unsupported hardware. Along with the link there are some other useful links at the end of the article as well.

I'm sure it would help if I posted the article -

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
wizard948
Contributor
Contributor

ITS ONBOARD

Gigabit Ethernet LAN:

PHY: RTL 8110S-32 /8110SC. Support 10mb/s 100mb/s and 1GB AUTO-NEGOTIATION.

THE MOTHERBOARD IS :

BIOSTAR TFORCE 945P (TSERIES)

kervin
0 Kudos
wizard948
Contributor
Contributor

YES I BUILT THE PC...

kervin
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your NIC isn't supported by ESXi so its probably not going to work. If you want you can buy a supported card which would solve your problems. If you read the article from planetvm.net it'll explain why your NIC doesn't work and the link to the HCL (hardware compatability list) so you can find one that will for sure work.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi doesn't have a realtek driver so that NIC won't work. I usually add an Intel Pro 1000 GT to my whiteboxes which works fine with ESXi. You might also try a 3COM 905 or Intel Pro 100 if you have one around.

0 Kudos