VMware Cloud Community
irvingtin
Contributor
Contributor

NAS on ESXi

Hi All,

I just install the ESXi on Dell 1850 server. However, it is not enough space (only 2x72G HDD).

I have a spare LevelOne GNS-8000 NAS (192.168.1.20) which can run on RAID 5 with IDE HDD (Existing is 120G x 4) . I created the user (vmware) with UID. Also, I have created same user with same in ESXi server. But I can't add the storage into the server.

When I add the NFS with IP (192.168.1.20) with the share folder "vmware", it show "Error during the configuration of the host: Unable to get Console path for Mount"

When I add the NFS with IP (192.168.1.20) with the share folder "/nfs/vmware", it show "Error during the configuration of the host: NFS error: Unable to Mountfilesystem:The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it"

I tried in a Windows PC with
192.168.1.20\vmware with the user vmware is work.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks,

Ivan Tin

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Forums - the ESXi host needs root level access to the Shared Folder - you need to set the No Root Swuash Parameter - this should solve the issue -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
irvingtin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I can't find the options "No Root Swuash Parameter" in my NAS (LevelOne GNS-8000).

What anything I can do?

Thanks,

Ivan Tin

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry bad typing - it is NoRootSquash - I am not familiar with NAS solution but you will need to see how the you can configure your NAS to allow root access to the shared folder -

Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you sure that's NFS?

Opening a share like that in Windows uses SMB. If it worked, and you didn't set anything else up, that's not an NFS share.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have your LevelOne has an option "secure" or "unsecure". I had the same problem last time with Intel Entry SS4200-E / EMC software. There is no "no_root_ squash" option, but I just need to allow unsecure connection (read, write) for my ESX on Intel SS4200-E and it works after that.

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
irvingtin
Contributor
Contributor

I granted the full access to guest on the shared folder.

How can I check the NFS setting is work?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If you can connect the ESXi to your NFS and can create a VM inside it then it is working.

Note the on some storage give guest full access is not necessary. You need root access (and could be different).

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Actually, even without no_root_squash option, you should able to mount the volume but you can't create the VM. So make your ESX able to mount the volume first. Have you enable NFS client port on ESX security profile?

VMware newbie..

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
EthanW
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat as the original poster, I would like to know what steps I need to take to load VMDK's from a NAS when I get that SAME error he is getting. I have no VMWARE experience and this job is critical. Can someone please explain how I can get my NAS accessed by this freshly installed ESXi server?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.

Please repost your question as a new post. Fully explain your problem with more details. NFS host, version etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos