VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving vm between datastore

Guys,

I am able to move the files of the vm machines to another datastore, but cannot move the directory. Is there a limitation? Even after the files are moved, I still like to at least remove the directory off the old datastore.

What is the preferred procedure?

TIA,

tnt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Should be no issue with removing the directory. The datastore browser in the VI client should do it, just navigate the data store so that the directory you want to delete is in the right pane, then click on it and click the "red X" in the toolbar.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Should be no issue with removing the directory. The datastore browser in the VI client should do it, just navigate the data store so that the directory you want to delete is in the right pane, then click on it and click the "red X" in the toolbar.

0 Kudos
kuldipsingh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually you can move the directories as well. Just make sure the directory you want to move is visible in the right pane and then just use the move option. To make a directory visible in the right pane, just click on the "/" root or parent of the directory. If you select the directory in the left pane and try move option if will move the files only.

tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kuldipsingh ,

I was selecting the directory on the left panel Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot.

Tnt

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There was one directory that had subdirectories with iso images. I tried moving the parent directory with everything moved except one. I got the "General fault caused by the file. The directory did move, but on the source it remains.

I could rename it but cannot remove it.

Tnt

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are any of the ISO files in that datastore directory currently connected to a VM? You can't move an ISO if its in use...

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think some vm machines are pointing to the iso. My thinking was it was used for the sole purpose of installing the OS. Am I wrong?

Tnt

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Typically the only time the ISOs need to be connected is for the initial installation and when you're making changes that require the media (i.e. adding components). For normal day-to-day use there typically isn't a reason to have an ISO connected...

If the ISO is connected to a powered on VM ESX will not allow it to be deleted, even if its not actively being accessed by the VM...

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.

Tnt

0 Kudos