VMware Cloud Community
Aeropars
Contributor
Contributor

Moving a VM from VMWare Server to ESX 3.5.0

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right place! We have a number of ESX (not ESXi) server which I want to move an existing VM to. The existing VM is on a Windows VMware server installation.

How can I get this VM onto the EXS server? Does it need converting using the free converter or will ESX recognise it? I downloaded somethign called Veeam FastSCP which can aparently do it but I have no idea how to do it.

If anyone could help, that would be apreciated.

Regards

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

for me, the best method would be to use VMware Converter

0 Kudos
Aeropars
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

So i convert the VM to an ESX model but where do I go from there?

Regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Converter will take your hosted guest and move it move it to your ESXi Host. When you launch the tool, your source will be VMware Workstation or other VMware Virtual Machine. Destination will be VMware Infrastructure virtual machine.

One thing to note. Make sure in your Destination Location you edit Devices and change the Disk Controller to SCSI

0 Kudos
Aeropars
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply again.

I'll give that a go! One thing though, I'm using ESX not ESXi. Will this make any difference? I'm not sure what the differences between the two are!

Regards

0 Kudos
Aeropars
Contributor
Contributor

OK, downloaded, installed and ran the converter but I must say I'm lost!

Is there a document which woudl guide me through the process of taking the VMware server VM, converting it and uploading it to the ESX server?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

>Aeropars wrote:

>I'm using ESX not ESXi. Will this make any difference? I'm not sure what the differences between the two are!

functionally they are the same hypervisor, it should make no difference.

For a comparison see

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/10232990

...and documentation on Converter

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/converter_pubs.html

0 Kudos